Chapter 246-215 WAC, Food Service, establishes standards and requirements to safeguard public health and ensure consumer food is safe, unadulterated, and honestly presented.
On October 13, 2020 the Board adopted amendments to chapter 246-215 WAC. Among other features, the amended rules have been revised to reflect the 2017 Federal Food and Drug Administration’s Model Food Code, with modification, as well as recently enacted legislation. The concise explanatory statement summarizes the differences between the proposed rules and adopted rules and the response to public comments.
Based on input from interested parties, the updated rules have a phased effective date:
- Effective January 15, 2021: Rule sections addressing legislative changes.
- Effective March1, 2022: All remaining provisions of the rule, excluding the Certified Food protection Manager certification requirement.
- Effective March1, 2023: Certified Food Protection Manager certification requirement.
Information and resources for rule implementation can be found on the Department of Health's website.
• CR-101 filed on July, 2, 2018 as WSR 18-14-085
• CR-102 filed on July 22, 2020 as WSR 20-15-157
• CR-103 filed on December 15, 2020 as WSR 21-01-122
Statutory Authority: RCW 43.20.050, RCW 43.20.145
State Board of Health Contact: Kaitlyn Campbell, 360-584-6737
Department of Health Contact: Peter Beaton, 360-236-4031
Related Links: Meeting Materials
- October 13, 2020 Board of Health Public Meeting
- April 8, 2020 Board of Health Public Meeting
- March 23, 2020 Environmental Health Committee Special Meeting
- February 14, 2020 Environmental Health Committee Special Meeting
- March 1, 2019 Environmental Health Committee Special Meeting
- July 31, 2019 Environmental Health Committee Special Meeting
- August 14, 2019 Public Meeting