Chapter 246-101 WAC outlines requirements for reporting information that is necessary for public health officials to protect the public's health by tracking communicable diseases and other conditions.
On April 13, 2022, the Washington State Board of Health (Board) adopted a seventh emergency rulemaking order to continue to designate COVID-19 as a notifiable condition and extend, without lapse, the requirements created under WAC 246-101-017, a new section.
The adoption of a seventh emergency rule is necessary for the preservation of the public health, safety, and general welfare of the State of Washington during the COVID-19 pandemic and to ensure continued compliance with the federal CARES Act.
The emergency rule requires health care providers, health care facilities, laboratories, local health jurisdictions, and the Department of Agriculture to report certain demographic, testing, and other relevant data for each COVID-19 test. The emergency rule also specifies reporting requirements by testing entity and test type in accordance with updated guidance from the Department of Health and Human Services:
- Entities licensed to conduct moderate or high complexity testing must report all positive, negative, and inconclusive test results from all NAAT and antigen tests performed for COVID-19.
- Entities licensed to conduct waived tests under a certificate of waiver must report positive test results from all waived tests, excluding antibody testing, for COVID-19.
The emergency rule became effective on April 20, 2022 and will be in effect for 120 days.
Please visit the Department of Health’s Reporting COVID-19 Test Results web page for more information on implementation of the emergency rule.
The Board filed a CR-101, Preproposal Statement of Inquiry, on July 23, 2021 to integrate emergency rule requirements and provisions into permanent rule. More information can be found on the COVID-19 permanent rulemaking web page.
- CR-103E filed on July 31, 2020 as WSR 20-16-121.
- CR-103E filed on November 25, 2020 as WSR 20-24-081.
- CR-103E filed on March 26, 2021 as WSR 21-08-009.
- CR-103E filed on July 23, 2021 as WSR 21-16-014.
- CR-103E filed on August 23, 2021 as WSR 21-18-034.
- CR-103E filed on December 21, 2021 as WSR 22-01-200.
- CR-103E filed on April 20, 2022 as WSR 22-09-082.
Related Links: Meeting Materials
- April 13, 2022 Public Meeting
- March 30, 2022 Health Promotion Committee Special Meeting
- March 9, 2022 Public Meeting
- February 23, 2022 Health Promotion Committee Special Meeting
- November 10, 2021 Public Meeting
- October 21, 2021 Health Promotion Committee Special Meeting
- July 22, 2021 Health Promotion Committee Special Meeting
- June 9, 2021 Public Meeting
- March 10, 2021 Public Meeting
- November 9, 2020 Public Meeting
- July 30, 2020 Special Meeting