Public Records Disclosure

Anyone can ask for written records produced by Washington state government agencies, including the State Board of Health. This page describes the types of information available and explain the steps to take to obtain the records you need.

The Board has no oversight or authority over the licensing or discipline of health care providers or facilities. Public records requests relating to health care providers and health care facilities must be made to the Department of Health.

How Do I Request a Public Record?

Download the Public Records Request Form as a PDF or Word document.


You may write a letter and e-mail, fax, deliver, or mail it to us. Please include:

Date of request Your Name Firm/Organization Address, City, State, Zip Telephone Number Cell Phone Number Fax Number Email Description of the public records you are requesting that is sufficiently specific for Board staff to identify and locate the records.

How Do I Receive Records?

You may receive records responsive to your request in three ways:

Through the Mail

Paper copies may be sent to you in the mail. For 50 pages or less, there is no charge. For 51 pages or more, we charge 15 cents per page for all the pages.


We may email you attachments or provide on a compact disk or other media. We do not charge a fee when we provide records as an email attachment. We are able to send a file size up to 10 MB via email. You will be responsible to communicate if there are any size restrictions associated with receiving records via email.

At the State Board of Health

You can inspect records at our agency where most records are located. You must arrange for inspection ahead of time with the public disclosure coordinator.

Inspection times are during regular business hours of 8:00 a.m. to 5:00 p.m., except recognized holidays. Our location is 101 Israel Road, Tumwater, Washington 98504

After inspection, you may ask us to make copies. We will either send them to you, or make paper copies.

How Long Do I Have to Wait?

Within five business days after receiving the request, we will:

Provide the record(s); or Acknowledge your request and give you a reasonable estimate of how long it will take to respond; or

If the request is not clear, we may ask you for further clarification.

  • Deny the request in writing, stating the reasons for the denial (this could also include a denial of part of your request and granting the remainder). By statute, RCW 42.56.520, the Board must cite the specific exemption that applies
What Records Are Exempt?

Only records that are exempt by law may be withheld from disclosure. These exemptions are generally intended to prevent invasion of privacy and the use of public records for personal, commercial, or political gain. They include, but are not limited to:

  • Information regarding Board personnel, such as social security numbers, home phone numbers, home addresses, résumés, and employment applications.
  • Data, the disclosure or information of which if disclosed could result in private gain and/or public loss.
  • Correspondence between Board staff and the Attorney General's Office for the purpose of soliciting or providing legal advice.
  • Information that if released, would constitute an invasion of privacy as defined in RCW 42.56.210 & 42.56.230.
  • For a complete list of exemptions, see RCW 42.56.210-480.