The Water Recreation Facilities and Recreational Water Contact Facilities rules regulate aquatic and water recreation facilities in Washington state such as swimming pools, spas, hot tubs, splash pads, water parks (including slides, lagoons, and lazy rivers), natural designated swim areas, and more.
The rules intend to keep the public safe by outlining requirements related to permits for construction and operation, operating plans, water quality standards, inspections, equipment, emergency response, and personnel training. The rules are necessary and important to protect the health, safety, and welfare of individuals who use water recreation facilities and recreational water contact facilities.
The Board is exploring possible updates to the rules. Staff filed a CR-101, Preproposal Statement of Inquiry to initiate rulemaking in 2016. Possible revisions include but are not limited to:
- Updates based on industry innovations and best practices
- Consideration of the most recent Model Aquatic Health Code published by the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention
- Requirements under 2017 legislation regarding inflatable water slides (HB 1449)
- Improving clarity and useability, including possible consolidation of the two rules under a single chapter
If you would like more information about this rule project, please subscribe to the Water Recreation Rule email list.
- Rulemaking Timeline
- Water Recreation Rule Updates | Washington State Department of Health
- CR-101 filed on December 13, 2016 as WSR 17-01-048
Statutory Authority: RCW 43.20.050 and RCW 70.90.120.
State Board of Health Contact: Andrew Kamali
State Department of Health Contact: Ashlie Laydon
For media inquiries about this rule, please contact email@example.com
Related Links: Meeting Materials
- December 20, 2021 Environmental Health Committee Special Meeting
- October 18, 2021 Environmental Health Committee Special Meeting
- October 13, 2021 Board Public Meeting
- September 20, 2021 Environmental Health Committee Special Meeting
- July 19, 2021 Environmental Health Committee Special Meeting
- May 17, 2021 Environmental Health Committee Special Meeting
- February 14, 2020 Environmental Health Committee Special Meeting