The State Board of Health (Board) is inviting you to provide feedback on a second informal draft of a new chapter of rules for Local Board of Health Membership (chapter 246-90 WAC). We appreciate your feedback of the rules which outline the recruitment, selection, and appointment process for non-elected members of local boards of health. The informal public comment period closed Friday, January 14, 2022.
About the Legislation:
During the 2021 legislative session, the Legislature passed Engrossed Second Substitute House Bill 1152, Supporting measures to create comprehensive public health districts. Among other changes, E2SHB 1152 expands local board of health membership to include an equal number of elected and non-elected persons. Non-elected members include:
- Public health, health care facilities, and providers;
- Consumers of public health; and
- Other community stakeholders.
The legislation directs the Board to adopt rules regarding the appointment process for these non-elected members. The selection process must be fair and unbiased and ensure membership of local boards of health include balanced representation of elected officials and non-elected persons with a diversity of expertise and lived experience.
The Board has the authority under RCW 43.20 to adopt rules regarding local board of health membership. On June 9, 2021, the Board filed a CR-101, Preproposal Statement of Inquiry, to establish chapter 246- 90 WAC, a new chapter, to implement recent legislation.
Ways to be involved in the rule project:
- To participate in and receive information about this rule project, add your name to the rule's interested parties list. You will receive notices about future public comment periods and rule updates.
- If you would like information about future Board meetings, please subscribe to the Board's general distribution list.
- To learn more about the community outreach and engagement, please read the update from our latest listening session.