The State Board of Health (Board) has the authority under RCW 43.20 to adopt rules regarding local board of health membership. During the 2021 legislative session, the Legislature passed Engrossed Second Substitute House Bill 1152 (E2SHB 1152), Supporting measures to create comprehensive public health districts. Among other changes, E2SHB 1152 expands local board of health membership to include an equal number of elected and non-elected persons. Non-elected members include:
- Public health, health care facilities, and providers;
- Consumers of public health; and
- Other community stakeholders.
The legislation directs the Board to adopt rules regarding the appointment process for these non-elected members. The selection process must be fair and unbiased and ensure membership of local boards of health include balanced representation of elected officials and non-elected persons with a diversity of expertise and lived experience.
The Board has filed a CR-102, Proposed Rule, for chapter 246-90 WAC, Local Board of Health Membership. The CR-102 announces to the public that a rule is being proposed and includes the proposed rule language. Written comments closed on March 30, 2022. Verbal testimony was accepted at the Board's April 13 public meeting during the official rules hearing.
To participate in and receive information about this rule project, add your name to the rule's interested parties list. You will receive notices about future public comment periods and rule updates. If you would like information about future Board meetings, please subscribe to the Board's general distribution list.
Local Board of Health Rulemaking FAQ - added 9/16/21
Local Board of Health Composition Rule Timeline and Summary - added 6/23/21
For media or general inquiries about this rule, please contact Kelie Kahler, Board Communication Manager, 360-236-4102.
Related Links: Meeting Materials
- April 13, 2022 Public Meeting
- March 9, 2022 Public Meeting
- January 12, 2022 Public Meeting
- Cover memo - added 3/29/22 at 12:46 p.m.
- Local Board of Health Composition Update Presentation - added 3/29/22 at 12:46 p.m.
- November 17, 2021 Listening Session
- Listening Session Presentation - added 11/17/21 at 4:10 p.m.
- October 13, 2021 Public Meeting