Chapter 246-272A WAC establishes standards for the siting, design, installation, use, care, and management of on-site sewage systems. In March 2018, the Board filed a CR-101, Preproposal Statement of Inquiry, to explore possible updates to the rules.
The Board and Washington Department of Health (Department) are using a collaborative rulemaking approach to gather input during the rulemaking process. The Department’s On-Site Sewage Rule Review Committee serves as the advisory committee for this rulemaking project.
The Department is finalizing rule language and readying accompanying rule analyses for further discussion and consideration by the Board. The rulemaking has been delayed by Covid response and other factors. The rulemaking is slated for completion in 2023.
Complementing rulemaking on the chapter, on June 8, 2022, the Board adopted an emergency rule amending WAC 246-272A-0110 to allow on-site sewage system proprietary treatment products to be operated and maintained with the best components available during an ongoing supply chain shortage. The emergency rule allows manufacturers to make written requests to the Department of Health to retrofit proprietary treatment products with best available components. The proposals must ensure the treatment products and their performance are not negatively impacted, and also ensure public health and environmental protection while limiting negative impacts to home sales and construction. The emergency rule will be in effect for 120 days. Staff will continue to investigate a long-term solution as part of the permanent rulemaking on the chapter.
For more information on the rulemaking or to join the interested parties’ list, visit the Department’s rulemaking web page.
Related Links: Meeting Materials
- June 8, 2022 Board of Health Public Meeting
- May 16, 2022 Environmental Health Committee Special Meeting
- December 20, 2021 Environmental Health Committee Special Meeting
- October 18, 2021 Environmental Health Committee Special Meeting
- Meeting Summary Notes
- September 20, 2021 Environmental Health Committee Special Meeting
- August 11, 2021 Board Public Meeting
- July 19, 2021 Environmental Health Committee Special Meeting
- Meeting Summary Notes
- May 17, 2021 Environmental Health Committee Special Meeting
- February 14, 2020 Environmental Health Committee Special Meeting
- November 18, 2019 Board Public Meeting
- July 31, 2019 Environmental Health Committee Special Meeting
- March 13, 2019 Public Meeting
- March 1, 2019 Environmental Health Committee Special Meeting